For decades, the former Fred Harvey restaurant at Los Angeles’ Union Station sat vacant, its soaring ceiling and Art Deco, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Southwestern design elements hidden from the public.
When it opened in 1939, the restaurant – designed by architect Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter as part of the Fred Harvey chain of eateries found at many railroad stations starting in the 1870s – was a popular spot for hungry travelers and, in the 1940s, men returning home from war. But the restaurant closed in 1967. It remained largely empty, used only for the occasional film shoot or special event.
Finally in October 2018, following a major four-year renovation process, the space reopened its doors to the public as two new dining establishments: Imperial Western Beer Co., a restaurant and bar with its own attached brewery, and The Streamliner, a smaller craft cocktail bar.
Both put their historic details on full display.
Source: Read Full Article