CAR insurance is one hefty bill we are always trying to get reduced.
And with lockdown, you may just be able to.
I spoke to Danny Butler, an insurance specialist from the comparison website finder.com, to get his top tips on driving down what you pay . . .
- QUERY IT: Danny says: “If you are not going to be using your car for work for a while, it is worth contacting your insurance provider and seeing whether you can reduce your expected annual mileage or update your car’s useage to exclude commuting from your policy.”
My tip: To save time, check if you can adjust your mileage online. For example, if you are insured with either Churchill, Direct Line or AXA, you do not need to phone them — you can adjust your mileage on their website. Most insurers have waived extra charge fees for changing this but check first, as some companies are charging customers to adjust their details.
- OFF ROAD: Danny says: “If you are absolutely certain you will not be driving your car for a while, another option would be to remove your car from the road completely and temporarily SORN your car.” A SORN is a Statutory Off Road Notification that you make to the DVLA.
My tip: Although temporarily keeping your car off the road may save you money in the long run, there can be cancellation charges when you SORN your car and you could also lose your no-claims bonus for the year, so make sure it is worth it.
But the SORN option could be worth thinking about if you have two cars in the household and are not going to need more than one for a while.
- CASH BACK: Danny says: “In terms of refunds, Admiral are giving £25 to all of their car, van and motorbike policy holders. LV customers also have the option to apply for a refund, but only if you can prove that you have suffered financially because of the coronavirus.”
My tip: It does not hurt to give your insurer a call to ask whether you can get a partial refund, especially if you have been a loyal customer. Or talk to them about whether there is anything else they can do for you at this time.
- RENEWAL COMING UP? Save money and time by comparing your deal at finder.com.
- All prices on page correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Deal of the day
THIS Salter Milk Frother is now £34.99, down from £44.99, at jdwilliams.co.uk.
Perfect for a creamy latte or a foamy cappuccino.
DAIRY Milk Caramel Pots of Joy are now £1 for a pack of four at groceries.asda.com.
Reduced from £2.
Giselle's Little Helper
MARKS & Spencer has a huge sale on – and it is donating ten per cent of the purchase price, excluding VAT, of rainbow sale items like this £9 midi-dress – reduced from £22.50 – to NHS Charities Together.
I LOVE a Magnum but also Aldi’s Double Chocsticks.
They are £1.69 for three, compared to £3.89 for three Magnums at Tesco.
Shop and save
SAVE 25 per cent on La Roche-Posay skincare at superdrug.com.
Its cleansing gel is £9.36, down from £12.49.
Reader's saving tip
JEAN MARTIN, from South Shields, Tyne and Wear, says: “You can remove black marks on your iron by rubbing them with a paracetamol tablet – it comes straight off and cheaper than buying iron cleaner.”
- Send your tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Include your name and town.
Hot right now
GET 25 per cent off all TU clothing at Sainsbury’s and online at tu.co.uk.
Play now to win £15,000 on the The Sun Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in The Sun Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect.
So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app.
Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member?
Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone.
Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
- PRICES correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Source: Read Full Article