EuroMillions winner throws £1million party for friends – from beyond the grave

Lotto winner Colin Weir threw an extravagant 'million-pound' party for his closest pals including lobster and £340-a-bottle champagne – all from beyond the grave.

The philanthropist and football fan, who bought his favourite club Partick Thistle FC prior to his sudden death from kidney failure and sepsis in December, was adamant he wanted to throw a no-expenses-spared bash for friends.

The send-off at five-star Trump Turnberry was reserved for trusted friends and family only including from his beloved club and hometown of Largs, Ayrshire.

Along with ex-wife Christine, the dad of two won £161million in the EuroMillions in 2011 before saving his beloved football club buying 55 per cent of shares for around £2.5million.

A close friend of Colin’s, who was at the event, told the Daily Record: “Colin was certain before he died that he wanted to give his pals a great party to remember him by.

  • EuroMillions numbers over an hour late with £85m jackpot up for grabs

  • EuroMillions winner's hearse is applauded outside boyhood football club he bought

“So he booked out one of the biggest rooms at Trump Turnberry hotel and treated all of his friends to the biggest and grandest party any of us had ever seen. It was amazing.”

His funeral cortege was met last month by hundreds of Jags fans after making a final visit to his beloved Firhill stadium, where he had bought a majority seven-figure stake in the club.

A service – attended by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon – followed at Partick Burgh Hall but the extravagant Turnberry event had been kept strictly under wraps until now.

A source said: “Everybody was dining on Krug champagne and lobster. There was the best wine money could buy by the case load. I saw people knocking back bottles and bottles.

“For starters, there was truffle soup – which comes in at about £40 a plate. Then there were tables and tables laden with food.

“The puddings were out of this world as well. Somebody said that Colin put aside £1million for the party. It certainly would have cost an awful lot of money.”

The pal added: “It was purely for friends. There was no family present. The family were at the funeral, where his wife Christine attended alongside Nicola Sturgeon and her husband.

“The NHS team who cared for Colin during his illness were also there as he had nothing but praise for these people.”

The Turnberry resort was a sanctuary for the Weirs in the weeks after they bagged their £161,653,000 prize – making them the UK’s richest ever lottery winners.

The couple were spotted with their son and daughter on a “staycation” at the hotel, which offers luxury rooms for £1000 a night, just a month after being catapulted into the Sunday Times Rich List above Beatle Ringo Starr and Sir Tom Jones.

Colin, who had previously worked as a TV cameraman, and Christine, 62, a psychiatric nurse, decided not to jet off to foreign climes and took a trip to Brighton as they decided how to spend their cash.

Sticking firmly to their roots, they bought modest £850,000 Knock House, a four-bedroom detached home in 23 acres of gardens and woodland on the outskirts of Largs.

They later upgraded to Frognal mansion, bought from hotel tycoon Bill Costley for £3.5million, and set up The Weir Charitable Trust in 2013. The Jags, who were among the beneficiaries, set up the Thistle Weir Youth Academy and a section of Firhill was named the Colin Weir Stand.

The couple donated £1million to the Scottish independence campaign ahead of the 2014 referendum and continued donating to the SNP afterwards.

Together they raised their two children, Carly and Jamie, who are both believed to be in their early 30s, and became well known in the Ayrshire community for pumping money into local projects.

Colin previously said: “We didn’t want to go away and live on a small island with no contact with the people who are important to us.”

In 2018, Colin bought a five-bed coastal mansion in Ayrshire for £1.5million and in April last year the couple announced their intention “to divorce amicably” after 38 years of marriage.

Just two days after Christmas, personal lawyers confirmed Colin had died after succumbing to a “short illness”.

They thanked the staff of University Hospital Ayr for their “care and compassion”.

The Weir Charitable Trust did not respond to a request for comment.

Source: Read Full Article