Eddie Hearn is one of the biggest boxing promoters in the world. His company, Matchroom Boxing, represents some of the biggest names in the sport, including Anthony Joshua, Katie Taylor, and Kell Brook. In 2018, Hearn negotiated a ground-breaking deal worth $1 billion, with streaming platform DAZN.
Jake Paul is a budding YouTube boxer with a fair amount of victories under his belt. We’ve broken down his boxing record thus far.
According to TMZ, Eddie Hearn is suing Jake Paul for over $100 million according to the promoter’s attorney, Frank Salzano.
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Matchroom and Hearn attorney Frank Salzano told ESPN that his clients are seeking more than $100 million in damages. TMZ was the first to report news of the lawsuit.
“Both legally and ethically there is a clear line separating opinion from defamatory lies. Jake Paul knows that, and he purposely crossed that line when he wrongly accused Matchroom Boxing and Eddie Hearn of fixing fights.”
“Nonetheless he was still given an opportunity to retract his defamatory statements and refused to. Now he will face the legal consequences of his actions as Matchroom and Mr. Hearn will be seeking damages in well excess of $100 million given the value and goodwill attached to the Matchroom business and the harmful nature of Mr. Paul’s comments.”
RELATED: Jake Paul Challenged Dana White To $5 Million Bet On Anderson Silva’s Fight
Jake Paul is being sued by Eddie Hearn — one of the most powerful people in boxing — after The Problem Child claimed the promoter paid off a judge in two recent, high-profile bouts.
In a newly filed lawsuit, obtained by TMZ Sports, Hearn and his company, Matchroom Boxing, claim their reputation was damaged after 25-year-old Paul “made outrageously false and baseless allegations” during an interview on Sept. 20.
In the talk, Paul claimed Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing paid off judge Glenn Feldman in the August Oleksandr Usyk vs. Anthony Joshua fight. Paul claimed that the same judge was also paid off by Matchroom in the April Katie Taylor vs. Amanda Serrano fight.
According to ABC News, Taylor won a split decision, with two judges, including Feldman, ruling in favor of her. Usyk also won a split decision with Feldman the only judge scoring the bout for Joshua. Taylor and Joshua are Matchroom fighters. Serrano is part of Paul’s Most Valuable Promotions and Paul and Hearn co-promoted Taylor vs. Serrano, the first-ever female boxing headliner at Madison Square Garden.
“It’s like a repeated crime here,” Paul told IFL TV. “This type of s—, I’m going to call it out here in boxing because it’s bulls—. Clearly, this guy (Feldman) is getting paid money by Matchroom Boxing.”
Paul’s team was not immediately available for comment Saturday. Paul first made his name as a wildly popular YouTube star and social-media influencer before compiling a 5-0 pro boxing record over the last three years. Last year, Paul began promoting fights, too.
Salzano notes in the complaint against Paul that Hearn has said publicly that he himself scored the Usyk vs. Joshua bout for Usyk and the Taylor vs. Serrano contest was a close, Fight of the Year candidate. The attorney also wrote that Paul admitted in the interview that he was making a “bold statement” with regards to the allegations and that the judges were hired by respective commissions in the Middle East and New York, not Matchroom.
“Such accusations are obviously deeply offensive as well as damaging to [Hearn and Matchroom],” wrote Salzano, a partner in the New York law firm Salzano, Lampert & Wilson, LLP. “They are also patently false.”
Paul’s statements caused what Salzano describes in the complaint as a “media and social media frenzy undoubtedly exacerbated by [Paul’s] enormous social media following.” The complaint reads that a jury trial in the case is “demanded.”
“[Paul’s] defamatory statements were made with malicious intent and have caused financial and reputational harm to [Hearn and Matchroom], which is precisely what [Paul] intended when he made the outlandish accusations,” Salzano wrote.
READ NEXT: Taylor Swift Allegedly Turned Down Super Bowl Offer To Play Halftime Show Next Year
Sources: TMZ, ABC News
Source: Read Full Article