Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of twelve books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
Who wouldn’t want to eat chicken stuffed with nachos toppings and rolled in crushed-up chips? This health-conscious recipe serves four, so it’s perfect for family dinners and make-ahead meals. Follow my recipe or spice things up and have some fun creating your own stuffed-chicken creations—the possibilities are endless!
Nacho-rific Stuffed Chicken
½ cup fat-free refried beans
4 wedges light creamy Swiss cheese
¼ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
½ cup high-fiber bran cereal
½ oz. (about 15) baked tortilla chips, crushed
1 tsp. taco seasoning
4 5-oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast cutlets, pounded to ¼-inch thickness
⅛ tsp. each of salt and black pepper
¼ cup taco sauce
Optional toppings: light sour cream, salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. To make the filling, combine beans, Swiss cheese wedges and cheddar. Mix thoroughly.
3. In a blender or food processor, grind cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Add crushed chips and taco seasoning and mix well.
4. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Distribute filling among the cutlets. Roll up each cutlet over the filling, and secure with toothpicks if needed. Transfer to the baking sheet.
5. Top with taco sauce and coat with seasoned crumb mixture. Cover sheet with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove foil. Bake until cooked through and crispy, about 15 minutes.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Nutritional Information for ¼th of recipe: 295 calories, 7g total fat (2.5g sat fat), 713mg sodium, 16.5g carbs, 4.5g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 38.5g protein
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!
Source: Read Full Article