Dough balls are a great accompaniment to pizza, pasta, or a host of other foods. Their doughy deliciousness melts in the mouth, oozing with that gorgeous garlic butter. My mouth is practically watering at the thought of them.
They’ve become a Pizza Express staple – both in restaurants and to purchase ready made in the supermarkets.
But Pizza Express have now shared their classic recipe with us so you can make your own testy treats at home.
Many people have taking to baking bread in lockdown and dough ball might just be the next step up.
Do you want to learn how to make dough balls? Read on as Express.co.uk brings you not one but three delicious recipes.
How to make Pizza Express dough ball
- 150ml warm water – roughly 27 degrees
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 15g fresh yeast or 2 level tsp of dry yeast
- 225g of plain flour (plus extra for working)
- 1.5 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp of butter
- 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic
- How to make pizza at home
1. Add the sugar and crumble the fresh yeast into warm water.
2. Allow the mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes in a warm place (we find a windowsill on a sunny day works best) until froth develops on the surface.
3. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
4. Lightly flour your hands, and slowly mix the ingredients together until they bind.
5. Generously dust your surface with flour. Throw down the dough and begin kneading for 10 minutes until smooth, silky and soft.
6. Leave dough to rest until soft to the touch but not too springy – about 15 mins.
7. Preheat oven to 230°C. Then, it’s ready to roll. Roll dough into one long 1.2m tube. Chop into 16 chunks and place in an oven proof pan.
8. Leave Dough Balls to rest in pan for 30 mins then bake in the oven for 6 minutes until golden.
9. Now for the garlic butter. Mix 4 heaped teaspoons of butter with 1/2 teaspoon of chopped garlic. And serve!
Or perhaps you’re looking for something a bit easier?
This recipe – also from Pizza Express – uses store bought dough balls, but gives you a few tips for some tasty extra toppings.
- Pizza Express to reopen for delivery within days with new menu
How to make Cheese & Bacon Dough Balls
- 1 pack of PizzaExpress Dough Balls
- 1 tub of garlic butter (in Dough Balls pack)
- 3 tbsp mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 2-3 pieces of bacon
- olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and make a hole/slit in each Dough Ball.
2. Chop two to three pieces of bacon into small pieces and fry in olive oil, then set aside.
3. Using the same pan melt the grated mozzarella and cream cheese together.
4. Add the bacon (save a pinch or two) to the warm soft cheese mixture and mix together.
5. Stuff the bacon and cheese mixture into the Dough Balls and place onto a baking tray.
6. Melt the garlic butter (from the Dough Balls pack) in a pan and pour over the Dough Balls.
7. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Then top with the remaining bacon bits and share.
Or maybe you’re after a vegetarian home comfort, or just a something a little more cheesy.
Express.co.uk brings you a sumptuous recipe, which was created by ScottCanEat (@scottcaneat).
How to make Boursin dough balls
- Pizza dough (2x 8inch pizzas worth…you can make from scratch, use a packet mix or even use the ready-made from the fridge section of the supermarket)
- ½ tub Boursin Velvety
- 60g Salted Butter (at room temperature)
- 25g Melted salted butter
- To serve:
- ½ tub Boursin Velvety
- 50g Butter
- Clove of garlic minced
- Your favourite pizza sauce
1. In a small bowl mix the Boursin and softened butter combine to form a smooth paste.
2. Portion your dough into walnut sized balls (25g if you want to be precise)
3. Take a ball of dough and flatten it out to a disc with your palm.
4. Spoon a teaspoon of the Boursin mixture into the centre of the disc leaving room around the edges. Gather the disc into a pouch, sealing the Boursin in the dough. Then gently roll the pouch into a ball and place on a lined baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the dough then let rest for about 30 minutes to prove.
5. Bake the dough balls in a preheated oven 200c(fan) for 17 Minutes.
6. While your balls are baking, prepare your dipping sauce. Warm the butter in a small saucepan and add the garlic. Gently cook until some foam appears on the surface. Remove from the heat and cool.
7. Remove your balls from the oven glaze them with the melted butter and a brush. Serve with Boursin Velvety, pizza sauce and garlic butter.
Source: Read Full Article