DURING the holiday season it is common to have packages stolen from your front porch.
Porch pirates are approaching their most popular time of the year with the holidays and packages aplenty.
What are porch pirates?
Porch pirates are known as people who steal packages from the front porch of people's homes.
This act is popular even more so during the holidays as people are ordering gifts for loved ones.
People are also typically expecting their orders from Black Friday and Cyber Monday to arrive.
Even with new technology like security cameras and Ring doorbell cameras people are still vulnerable to porch pirates.
Although the term itself may not be widely known, having your packages stolen is unfortunately a common event.
How do I avoid being a victim of porch pirates?
As the act of stealing packages off the front porch increases during this time of year, it is important to know how to prevent being a victim of them all year long.
Franklin County police chiefs shared their tips to avoid porch pirates to The Columbus Dispatch.
Below are some of their tips on how to prevent getting your packages stolen.
- Order early: Popular delivery companies like UPS, FedEx, and the USPS often reveal their holiday shipping dates. This could help by knowing when is prime time for holiday packages to be arriving and possibly avoid those dates when possible.
- Amazon locker delivery: Instead of having your important packages delivered to your home while you are away, you can use Amazon's locker delivery. They deliver the packages to secure locked locations near you.
- Curbside pickup: Many retailers offer curbside pickup options instead of delivery. Picking your packages up could prevent theft.
- Deliver to work address: If possible have your items delivered to you at your work place instead of your home when you are away.
- Have a concealed delivery spot: When possible you can have a concealable delivery spot so your packages are not as easily visible to onlookers.
- Require signature: When possible you can request that your packages must have someone present to sign for them in order to be left at your address.
- Track your packages: Most delivery services offer a tracking option for your deliveries so you can keep up to date with their whereabouts.
- Install a security camera: Although this tip is not fool proof, some people will still steal despite security cameras. At least this way you could try to catch whoever stole your packages.
The authorities are likely to be more aware of porch pirates during the holidays.
Delivery drivers are also being told by authorities to report any thefts they are aware of and to place packages in less visible areas, The Columbus Dispatch reports.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
Email us at ex[email protected] or call 212 416 4552.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS
Source: Read Full Article