Devastated mum begs people to NEVER run dishwasher or washing machine at night to save money after her house burned down | The Sun

A DEVASTATED woman has revealed how her entire house burned down after she left the dishwasher running at night in a bid to cut back on her electricity bill.

Kerry Charnley, who is from the UK, took to Facebook group FAMILY LOWDOWN TIPS & IDEAS and shared her horrifying story in the hope of warning others and potentially saving lives.

She shared two photos of the devastation caused by the house fire and urged anyone who was tempted to run washing machines, dishwashers or tumble dryers during the night due to cheaper electricity tariffs, to think again.

Kerry explained: "In 2012 we suffered a devastating house fire in which we lost everything because I stupidly put the dishwasher on and left the house."

"I've included two pictures of our kitchen, one from the outside and one from the inside."

She continued: "The whole house was destroyed along with all our belongings."


My neighbour’s dogs have ruined my house – I’m now on medication for stress

Half of house buyers don’t know how to step onto property ladder, study finds

"Nobody was hurt and as it was a beautiful May morning, we walked to school and took the dog, otherwise she would have been in the kitchen."

"Please don't be complacent and think that it will never happen to you. Kitchen appliances are responsible for 15k house fires a year."

FABULOUS BINGO: Get a £20 bonus & 30 free spins when you spend £10 today

Kerry added: "There's a charity that provides information on recalled items….. please check if your appliances are on this incredibly large database and contact the manufacturer if they are," she added.

"I can't include a link, so please search for Electrical Safety First."

Most read in Fabulous


Harry & Meghan dealt a 'BITTER PILL to swallow' by the Queen during Jubilee


William and Kate's new home revealed as royals move to be nearer the Queen


I tried on a wedding dress… I felt sexy, but a pal said I looked horrendous


I have big boobs and this pretty bra from Asda is a total lifesaver – it's so cute

Kerry then encouraged social media users to share the post, adding "the more awareness, the more lives are saved."

The post was inundated with comments from other social media users who thanked Kerry for raising awareness.

"I work for a loss adjusting company & the amount of fires we see due to washers/dishwashers (& tumble driers) is scary. I never have mine on if we're not in/in bed," wrote one.

A second commented: "Thanks for posting. How awful for you all. I always turn off my tumble dryer but didn’t realise that the washing machine was a risk- stupid I know as it’s connected to mains but I thought it was safe!

Read More on The Sun

I’m a primary school teacher – I have to Google what I’m teaching before lessons

Exact spot to stand to improve signal at home – never miss a call again

I think you have defo saved a few fires by posting!"

A third added: "So sorry this happened to you! And well done on raising awareness to others from your experience."

    Source: Read Full Article