When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- Disney's streaming service, Disney Plus, launched in the United Kingdom (UK) on March 24.
- A monthly subscription costs £5.99 per month, while an annual plan costs £59.99 per year.
- In addition to the UK, the service is also now available in Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and other global markets.
- The ad-free streaming platform features a growing collection of movies and shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and 20th Century Fox.
- UK Subscribers can also pay an additional £19.99 fee to unlock early streaming access to "Mulan."
After its initial launch in the US, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, and Puerto Rico last year, Disney Plus is expanding to more regions around the world. As part of the global rollout, the service is now officially available in the UK and Ireland.
Like the US iteration, the UK version of Disney Plus offers ad-free streaming access to a large collection of movies and shows from Disney's various brands and franchises. This includes classic content from Disney's vault, as well as new original series, like the popular Star Wars show "The Mandalorian."
Unlimited downloads are also supported, along with four simultaneous streams, and the ability to create up to seven user profiles. Disney Plus in the UK is available via web browsers, mobile devices, media players, and select smart TVs.
Below, we've detailed everything you need to know about the launch of Disney Plus in the UK and other global markets, including the release date, how much it costs, what you can stream, and more.
Updated on 9/25/2020 by Steven Cohen: Added new details about Disney Plus Premier Access in the UK, as well as new Disney Plus international release dates.
When is the Disney Plus UK release date?
Disney Plus officially launched in the UK and Ireland on March 24, 2020.
In addition to those regions, Disney Plus is also available in the US, Canada, the Netherlands, Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, France, India, Belgium, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Isle of Man, Monaco, Wallis and Futuna, French West Indies, French Guiana, New Caledonia, Japan, and Indonesia.
The service is set to launch in Latin America in November. Support for Réunion, Mayotte, and Mauritius will be added in the future as well.
What's the Disney Plus price in the UK?
Two subscription options for Disney Plus are available in the UK. Subscribers can sign up for a monthly plan at £5.99 per month, or an annual plan at £59.99 per year. If you do the math, this means that annual subscribers can save about £12 total when paying for the full year up front.
In the US, Disney Plus is also available as part of a discounted monthly bundle with Hulu and ESPN+, but Disney has not currently announced plans for a similar bundle in the UK. For now, the service is only being offered on its own.
Does Disney Plus offer Premier Access titles in the UK?
Just as it does in the US, Disney Plus is now offering a "Premier Access" option for "Mulan" in the UK. Premier Access allows subscribers to pay an extra fee in order to unlock early streaming access to a specific title.
"Mulan" currently costs £19.99 to unlock on Disney Plus in the UK. The movie will be available to all Disney Plus members as part of their regular subscription starting December 4. It's not yet clear if Disney will offer additional Premier Access movies in the future.
What movies and shows are available on Disney Plus in the UK?
Disney Plus is home to an extensive catalog of movies and TV shows from Disney and its various brands and franchises, like Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and 20th Century Fox. Titles include a mix of classic content from Disney's storied vault, recent blockbusters, and brand-new exclusives developed specifically for Disney Plus.
In total, the UK launch of Disney Plus featured around 500 films, 26 original titles exclusive to the service, and more than 350 shows. Many original series and movies, like "The Mandalorian," "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series," "Lady and the Tramp," and "Togo", are also available.
It should be noted that the Disney Plus content library does vary a bit from region to region. This is due to various licensing agreements that Disney has in different regions around the world. With that in mind, some movies and shows available in the US might not always be available in the UK. The reverse is also true, so UK subscribers may get some titles US subscribers don't have access to yet.
In fact, the UK version of Disney Plus actually includes several big movies that aren't available through the US version of Disney Plus yet. Some notable titles include:
- "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"
- "X-Men: The Last Stand"
- "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer"
- "Home Alone"
When it comes to future releases, Disney Plus in the UK is expected to receive all of the same original series that Disney Plus in the US is scheduled to stream. This includes upcoming shows based on Marvel franchises, like "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" and "WandaVision". Exact premiere dates may differ from region to region, however, so we'll have to wait until later in the year to learn more.
How does Disney Plus affect the current DisneyLife streaming service in the UK?
Though Disney Plus is the studio's first major foray into subscription streaming in the US, Disney actually already has an existing streaming service in the UK called DisneyLife. Disney Plus will now serve as a replacement for DisneyLife.
DisneyLife will officially end its service on April 23, 2020. The platform offered access to select Disney streaming content for £4.99 per month.
Subscriptions for current members will automatically close on the next billing date following March 23, 2020. DisneyLife subscriptions will not automatically transition into Disney Plus subscriptions, so if you're still interested in streaming Disney content, you will have to sign up for a new Disney Plus account on your own.
Read everything else you should know about Disney Plus here:
- Disney Plus: Everything you need to know about Disney's ad-free streaming service
- Disney Plus costs $7 a month on its own, but you can bundle it with Hulu and ESPN+ for an extra $6
- How to get the Disney Plus bundle with ESPN Plus and the ad-free version of Hulu
- How to use the Disney Plus app to download and watch movies and shows offline
- All the new movies you can watch on Disney Plus — from the live-action 'Lady and the Tramp' to holiday comedy 'Noelle'
- All the new shows you can watch on Disney Plus — from 'The Mandalorian' to new Pixar shorts
- All the kids' movies you can stream on Disney Plus — from 'Snow White' to 'Frozen'
- All the new kids' shows you can watch on Disney Plus — from 'Vampirina' to the new reboot of 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars'
- All the Marvel movies and shows you can stream on Disney Plus — from 'Iron Man' to the new 'Loki'
- Every single Star Wars movie will be available on Disney Plus
- All the Pixar films and shorts you can stream on Disney Plus — from 'Toy Story' to 'Inside Out'
Subscribe to our newsletter.
You can purchase syndication rights to this story here.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article